Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Weather Woes


Have you ever gotten stranded at the airport?  Probably.  Most people have.  I had my first experience this last weekend in beautiful Newark, New Jersey.  With all the madness going on with cancelled flights, 8 hour delays, cramped in a plane for 3 hours waiting to be "de-iced" again, it is definitely not something I would like to do again for a very long time.  But what can you do?  Scream and yell and get really, really angry?  Sure you could do that, but it wont change anything.  It wont make the snow stop falling or the ice from melting off the tarmac.  As a person in the customer service industry, it was quite a social study of how people handle themselves in certain circumstances.  For the most part, it was a complete cluster f@#&.  Passengers crying and lethargic agents, not very much fun.  One lady, Joan, was the best.  She spoke clearly and directly.  I stood next to a woman who was screaming at her, "if I have a heart attack it's your fault, and I will never forgive you!"  Geez.  Like Joan can do anything about the snow.
I think my point Im trying to make here, is that sometimes we just have to take what life gives us and deal with it.  Luckily, I have a friend in Brooklyn that I got a hold of and could stay with.  I got passed the fact that I wouldn't spend my birthday with my husband, and moved on.  Several agents had already informed me that there was no availability to SF until Wednesday the 24th, so thats what I went with.  At the desk, I asked for the first confirmed seat to SF, no standby, no nothin!  Just get me a seat and let me go home.  He starts writing on the old boarding pass...and just shy of a miracle, he got me a seat.  Don't know how, or why; I didn't ask because he said not to.  There I was, after 32 hours of just shy of hell, on my way home.  
What does this have to do with sake?  None, they don't have sake at airports...yet.  I wish they did though.  
Enjoy your holiday season.  Be kind to one another.

No comments: